Dr. Bense graduated from the Pretoria University Medical School in South Africa back in 1970. After completing his residency in ophthalmology in 1984 at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia, he was selected to do a retina fellowship in Diseases and Surgery of the Retina and Vitreous at the University of Toronto Medical School the following year by the CNIB’S, A.E. Baker Foundation. In 1986, he became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCSC Ophthalmology), Canada.
Dr. Bense was also the Chief of Ophthalmology at the Health Sciences Complex in St. John’s. He is affiliated with MUN and is a Clinical Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at the Memorial University. He sits on the executive board of the Canadian Society of Cataract. With more than 20 years of experience and 20,000 procedures under his belt, his record of success speaks for itself.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada
- Member of the Atlantic Provinces Ophthalmological Society (APOS)
- Member of the Canadian Ophthalmic Society
- Member of the Canadian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Member of the Newfoundland Medical Society
- Member of the Canadian Medical Association
- Member of the South African Medical and Dental Society
- Member of the International Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons