Completed in 2010, Mitchell Eye Centre is located within the Southern Alberta Eye Center. Covering over 46,000ft², the facility was created with the goal of being the first dedicated, state-of-the-art “eye clinic” in Southern Alberta. Today it houses most disciplines related to ophthalmology including general ophthalmology, refractive, glaucoma, retina group, plastics/orbit, pediatric, strabismus, oncology, uveitis clinic, ophthalmic surgery (local and general anesthetic), teaching, and research.
The Mitchell Eye Centre, located on the ground floor of the Southern Alberta Eye Centre, is one of Calgary’s sophisticated facilities offering total vision care.
Our location is equipped with advanced technologies for treating eye conditions and diseases, including:
- 4 surgical suites for comprehensive eye surgeries
- 4 advanced retinal lasers
- 3 YAG laser suites
- An Excimer laser suite, approved by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta for refractive laser eye surgery
- Full diagnostic suite for performing fluoresceinangiographies, B-scans, visual fields, corneal topography, Wavefront analysis, A-scan biometry, confocal microscopic corneal analysis, ocular coherance tomography (OCT), for retinal and glaucoma visual fields
- 14 tech rooms for testing, analysis, eye exams, and health evaluations
- 1 procedure room for small procedures such as the treatment and removal of lid lesions
- Mitchell Eye Centre facilities can accommodate over 90 patients at any given time and we complete more than 100 eye examinations daily. At the Mitchell Eye Centre you can be assured that you will receive attentive care promptly and efficiently. We have an excellent team to take care of you and your family. To offer our patients the most comprehensive eye care experience, our location also includes a fully equipped pharmacy with compounding room that specializes in prescriptions related to eye care. For patients awaiting surgery, or family and friends accompanying a Mitchell Eye Centre patient, our location offers a ground floor quiet cafe with a free wireless network to spend time in while waiting.
Our testing and surgical suites are equipped with sophisticated surgical equipment for the treatment of eye conditions.
The Southern Alberta Eye Center is the only eye care facility in Western Canada equipped with a Catalys Precision Laser System for the treatment and removal of cataracts. Compared to other femtosecond lasers currently in use, the Catalys System offers unparalleled accuracy, customization, and comfort for cataract patients.
For performing advanced laser eye surgeries, Mitchell Eye Centre uses a ZEISS Excimer, MEL80 laser – one of the most advanced Excimer lasers currently available.
- Laser Eye Surgery
- Refractive Lens Exchange
- Cataract Surgery
- Glaucoma Treatment
- Retinal Surgery
- Dry Eye Treatment
- Cosmetic Eye Surgery
- Southern Alberta Eye Centre
The Mitchell Eye Centre is located inside the Southern Alberta Eye Center (SAEC) and Dr. Robert Mitchell is one of its founding partners. This incredible new facility contains important resources for vision care and eye health including the Calgary Retina Centre, SAEC diagnostics, and SAEC surgical centre, and a state of the art educational wing for ophthalmologists and those studying the treatment of eye conditions and diseases. In addition to this, the SAEC has an on-site pharmacy, doctors offices, and cafe on the ground floor.